Bringing you the magic formula for effective training...
fun + active + safe + challenge = extraordinary results
WorldGAMES Corporate History
- WorldGAMES commenced business in Glebe, New South Wales in 1994 as an experiment to see if games and exercises could be used exclusively to formulate effective workplace training. The aim: Talk and Chalk free training.
- The founders of the business started with one simple premise linking three fundamental concepts:
- The aim of all training is to positively change behaviour (including results, attitudes, skills and interactions) and
- the best way to change behaviour is through learning by doing (experiential learning) and
- the safest way to learn is through the power of metaphor (stories, games, simulations).
- Individually, none of these concepts was new, indeed learning by doing has been practised since the dawn of human existence, has long been formalised in the master/apprentice system and learning through metaphor is common to all of the ancient and indigenous civilisations.
- What was new was the combination of all three concepts and their application to business learning.
- The founders of the business had all experienced the power of workshop games and had witnessed first hand the consequent improvement in results. However, in 1994 there were lots of "energisers" but very few games and exercises that were workplace relevant and therefore suitable for the desired training.
- WorldGAMES decided to create its own fit-for-purpose games. Each of the founders organised a "Development Team" of creative individuals who one night a week brainstormed, refined and created new games. A typical six week cycle, in the early days, produced a single game from each team.
- These games were then put on trial when all teams came together for a public Games Night.
- The first year of business was almost exclusively one of product development. A Team Building program was first off the drawing board. This combined public domain games and exercises with those that the WorldGAMES teams had created.
- A Communications Program followed shortly thereafter.
- In the second year the first commercial clients booked training programs and the training business was underway.
- By 1996 WorldGAMES library of activities had grown to 100. At this point several of the founders left to establish a cutting edge consulting business.
- The stage was set for the development of the current WorldGAMES with its focus on practical. pragmatic training activities, simulations, tools and programs.
- In 1997, Wendy Pettit and Ralph Dutneall joined John Radclyffe as partners in WorldGAMES Publishing, the games creation side of the business.
- Together, this partnership expanded the "library" to more than 475 games and exercises, the majority WorldGAMES created, and 120 management tools.
- In late 1998, WorldGAMES created a new Corporate Challenge Program for Sega World. This team competition featured new games specifically designed around the rides at Sega World. While the Sega World venture was not to last, the Corporate Challenge concept has mushroomed as a fun, action-packed program for large groups that can be adapted to any venue.
- In 1999 this concept was the successful core of a program for 450 international executives held on the Olympic track at Stadium Australia.
- In 2000 WorldGAMES developed the Emissions Trading Game for Melbourne University Direct and ran it for 100 business leaders on World Environment Day.
- In 2001 the biggest yet WorldGAMES event, 610 people at Darling Harbour Convention Centre, also used the Corporate Challenge theme.
- Also in 2001, after 2 years as Australasian facilitators of the board-based business simulations owned by Business Today International, WorldGAMES were appointed agents for Australia and New Zealand. This series of around 30 generic simulations fit very well synergistically with WorldGAMES activities and customised programs.
- By 2004, WorldGAMES could offer a "library" of over 650 games and exercises and 120 management tools.
- WorldGAMES is now ideally placed to offer the very best and broadest range of facilitated experiential training in Australasia.
- Desiring to bring all of its experience in active business learning to the world market-place, WorldGAMES launched its WorldGAMES Online store in 2005. Now the full range of WorldGAMES' experiential games, exercises, management tools and training programs can be purchased in a simple, ready-to-use format.
Back to top